Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24
We don't realize how malnourished we are to hear words that are positive and encouraging…until we hear them.
When we receive a good word from someone, it's like taking good medicine for your health. We don't realize how malnourished we are to hear words that are positive and encouraging…until we hear them.
Has someone ever spoken a kind, good word that encouraged you and lifted you up out of a funk? It's a great feeling, isn't it?
Scripture shows there is a lot of emphasis on how the words we speak correlate to our health.
It feels great, however, when a friend or colleague says something nice to you and it boosts your spirit. The verse in Proverbs 16:24 tells us that pleasant words spoken are sweet to the soul and health to our bones.
Of course, the Word of God in itself is a Good Word that is very Good Medicine. Scripture shows there is a lot of emphasis on how the words we speak correlate to our health.
Some examples are found in:
- Proverbs 17:22 – A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones.
- Proverbs 4: 20, 22 – My son, give attention to my words; For they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh.
- Proverbs 3:8 – It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones. (This refers to wisdom and the fear of the Lord, which is necessary to our overall well being.)
- Psalm 107:20 – He sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.
- Hebrews 4:12 – For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
…we can get a lot of nourishment for our mind, body, and soul straight from Scripture
When we speak of words and health, we can't forget one of the most powerful verses of Scripture that sums up the importance of our words and our health from Proverbs 18:21 – Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
As you can see, we can get a lot of nourishment for our mind, body, and soul straight from Scripture. Right now we hear a lot of negative, unhealthy words, it's refreshing to know we have a Source of nourishment. We have somewhere to turn to for a dose of GOOD MEDICINE!
Prayer: Father, thank you for giving me Your Word. I receive the wisdom found in the truth of your word to bring healing to every area of my life. In Jesus' name! Amen!