Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. - Romans 11:5
We recently had a new floor installed in our home and there was a remnant of flooring left over. It wasn’t much but would come in handy if a floorboard needed to be replaced. While in prayer the Lord brought to my mind about the remnant He’s set aside. A remnant may not be a lot, but it’s enough for God’s purpose.
It’s not a popular message but for decades the Body of Christ has been going down a slippery slope
There is so much chaos, unrest, and downright wickedness in our world that it’s affecting the Church. It’s not a popular message but for decades the Body of Christ has been going down a slippery slope of complacency and compromise.
We’ve compromised so much on family values as it relates to marriage, gender identity, etc.. We’ve become complacent in moral values as it relates to the aborting of babies in the womb, and young children being trafficked for nefarious purposes. The church, in essence, has done the exact opposite of what Paul admonishes us to do in Romans 12:2:
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
We’ve reached a point where many believers have not only conformed to the world's system but are helping to proliferate worldly ideology into the church. However, it’s not all doom and gloom for the Body of Christ. God is faithful, and He’s reserved a remnant that has not bowed their knees to Baal.
The word remnant is used throughout Scripture to identify those whom God has set aside as His servants who will accomplish His will on the earth. There are numerous examples throughout Scripture of God setting aside a group of people for His purpose. These purposes or goals are revealed in the following examples:
9 Purposes of God's Remnant
- Judgment – Joshua 23:12 – God has always been faithful to His people then and now. This chapter shows Joshua warning the Israelites to continue in God's Word and His ways or they will suffer the consequences.
The same holds true for us today. The further our society and the church especially, go down the slippery slope of calling evil good and good evil, we're setting ourselves up for the Lord's judgment.
- Prayer – 2 Kings 19:4 – This is a prime opportunity for us as believers to pray on behalf of the remnant that will be used by God. I especially think of our young people who have been turned around in confusion with the events in the world. We need to pray fervently for them to receive God's grace and mercy.
- Favor – Ezra 9:8 – God will never put on us more than we can handle and will extend His grace and mercy to us. His favor even in the midst of struggle will sustain us.
- Prevent Discouragement – Isaiah 1:9 –
Again, God is not one to give us more than we can bear nor is He slack in His promises. The remnant that God is reserving is evidence that's He's not forsaken us.
- Return of Wayward/Backslider – Isaiah 10:20-21 –
This verse is a wonderful reminder that God loves everyone and is always ready to extend His arm to those who may have veered off course. The Lord will never leave nor forsake them.
- Opportunity – Isaiah 11:11 – The Lord is not a respecter of persons. He will continue to reach out to people from the far reaches of the earth who have been reserved for His purpose and glory.
- Salvation/Deliverance – Joel 2:32 – The Lord doesn't wish for anyone to perish and this verse reminds us that He alone is the God of our salvation.
- Encouragement – 1 Kings 19:18 – The prophet Elijah had a bounty on his head from the wicked queen Jezebel after he slew her false prophets. He became fearful and depressed, so God had to remind him by way of encouragement that he's not the only one fighting against evil in the region.
We too need this encouragement. Regardless of challenges, we may face if God is for us who can really be against us?
- Testimony – Revelation 12:17 – I love this verse because it seals the deal and puts the nail on the Enemy's coffin! The Lord is revealing to us as His Remnant and who will follow, will be a testimony for His glory. Nothing Satan slings at the Lord's righteous servants will overcome us!
So as we can see there is plenty to rejoice and praise God for in His purposes for the Remnant. We need not be discouraged, but encouraged that as Paul said,
Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
And that remnant is enough!
Father, thank you for setting me aside as a part of Your Remnant. I thank you that You alone are the God of my salvation in and through Christ Jesus by Your Holy Spirit! Amen.