Luke 2:34 - Then Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this Child is destined for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which will be spoken against
The holiday frenzy has quieted down as we look hopefully forward to 2021. In thinking about this past Christmas, my attention focused to the birth of Christ. He was born for this time in history when the environment was volatile.
Just like our cultural and political climate is now.
We’re so used to the sanitized version of the “Christmas” story that we forget there was nothing pretty and clean about our Lord’s entry into this dark world.
Consider what was happening at the time:
- The Roman government at the time ordered a census of all citizens: Luke 2:1-3
- While heavily pregnant and traveling to their hometown in Bethlehem for the census, Mary went into labor, eventually giving birth. – Luke 2:4-6
- Word of a new King coming into the world reached an insecure and wicked King Herod at the time.- Matthew 2:2-3
- Mary ended up giving birth to Jesus in a “barn like” dwelling because there was no available lodging. – Luke 2:7
- Meanwhile, the government, lead by King Herod, declared execution of all male children under the age of two. (Does the Egyptian king Pharaoh ring any bells?) – Matthew 2:16-18
The purpose was to eliminate Jesus, the Christ child. – Matthew 2:16
Christ was born for this reason as prophesied by the prophet Isaiah and a devout man of God
When you look at all the circumstances of the Lord’s birth, it’s truly a miracle how it happened.
Christ was born for this reason as prophesied by the prophet Isaiah and a devout man of God Simeon:
- For the government to be upon his shoulders…not ours. – Isaiah 9:6
- That the increase of His government and of His peace there will be no end – Isaiah 9:7
- To be a light to bring revelation to the Gentiles, And the glory of His people Israel.” Luke 2:32
- For us to “Behold, this Child is destined for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which will be spoken against (yes, a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”
- 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”
Our Savior came to this earth specifically for one purpose. To save His people from their sins. (Matthew 1:21)
As we’re leaving this tumultuous year behind, we can take heart that no matter what 2021 may bring, God is sovereign and will remain faithful.
The Lord is not slack in His promises towards us. God, will continue to offer His hand of salvation to those who seek Him earnestly.
He was born for this reason. Jesus died for this reason, and….
He resurrected for this reason.
Be encouraged in this New Year!